Saturday, August 22, 2009

Word for word

I love California: I practically grew up in Phoenix.
--Dan Quayle--


We, in America, like to make fun of our leaders. Shows like Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock thrive on the mockery of the people we in America voted for. As a member of the future press, I am learning about the reality we live in. To be famous, to be a celebrity figure, one must get used to the daily spotlight. Jennifer Aniston has become a sort of icon for bad relationships. Barack Obama is depicted as both a Jesus-type figure, coming to save us all and as a non-American. The press has the ability to shape the minds of Americans. We print what we want to print and even if we try not to, we often put our own slant in our work.

Dan Quayle was vice president from 1989 to 1993. During those four years, I was in the first to fourth grades. I didn't know about his politics. All I knew was that my parents liked him a lot and my dad read his book. Quayle is a fine example of someone who shouldn't talk to the press. His reputation for saying the wrong thing earned him the reputation of a nitwit of sorts. I mean, look at the quote above. Taken word for word, it makes him look like an ignoramus.

I'm glad I never chose to go into politics. If I had, all the old letters I have written would resurface and I would surely be written about in an unfortunate light. It's good to be me. I can say what I want and nobody writes it down for others to see.

1 comment:

  1. " Taken word for word, it makes him look like an ignoramus. "

    Appearances aren't deceiving in this case. :)

    Nice post Rece!!

    ReplyDelete