Friday, August 28, 2009

Music writing

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture-it's really a stupid thing to want to do."
--ELVIS COSTELLO--

When I first watched the movie, Almost Famous, I was 21 years old and I lived in Oxford, England. There was only one more semester of college left and I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I thought about joining the Peace Corps. It seemed like a good idea. Living abroad suited me. But then I watched the movie. I thought it was awesome. I started to see visions of myself as "the enemy," writing for Rolling Stone magazine.

I didn't follow through with Rolling Stone. Joining the Peace Corps was a much easier path to take.

The thing about writing for something like Rolling Stone is that with that publication, writers are sure to get personal with the musicians. It's not like one of the other music magazines in which writers steal material to create new articles, completely bastardizing the words and theories of the musician.

And now about music. I like music. Going to concerts and listening to new bands has become one of my things in the past few years. Besides writing about that, I probably would feel like I was dancing about architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment