Sunday, August 16, 2009

Weekend at Home in Dayton (8/7-8/9)

Last weekend, I went home to Dayton. The bus ride was nice and then I spent some time in the Amtrak station contemplating future excursions while I waited to be picked up. I love the drive from Salem to Dayton. If we take Wallace Road into Dayton, we pass a lot of farms of people I used to know. It's fun to chat with my mom and ponder about what my former classmates are up to and if they are still in town.

The weekend was a hit. I swam each day. I got to eat cake for my brother's birthday party, and I got to see a very dear friend.


My mom and I met my friend, Chris, up at Stoller Vineyards for As You Like It with Willamette Shakespeare. It was truly fabulous. The vineyard was the perfect spot. The trees framed the stage in such a way that I really felt like we were in the forest of the play.
I've come to love Shakespeare even more than when I studied his works in college. The comedies bring such a light-heartedness to life. I wish that I could live in a play, if only for a day. My life has become so busy. I know that I have filled it with fun and friends, but I relish the times when I get to sit back and escape into a play production. And wandering around the streets of Eugene sooths my soul in a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment