Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I ain't no Julie or Julia

My father is a chef. He doesn't do it for money. In fact, after a tough day in the kitchen, the most he usually gets are a few words of praise and a satisfied stomach. If he had the money, I am sure he would enroll in Western Culinary Institute's Le Cordon Bleu program.

I have not been graced with my father's love of food, either the preparation or the consumption of certain delicacies. As a child, I ate hamburgers without the bun. I felt that since my last name was Bunn it was inappropriate to ingest an item with the same name. And although I have been known to snitch food on occasion, it hasn't made me any more adventurous when perusing a menu. Instead, I am a few pounds heavier and have cavities to prove that chocolate and sweets aren't necessarily beneficial to one's health.

For about a week in high school, I considered becoming a chef. I had been watching Friends non-stop and had decided that it wouldn't be so bad to be like Monica, so long as I was married to my own Chandler in the end.

Tonight, I was almost inspired to come home and cook myself an Italian feast. I say almost because in the end it didn't happen. Not only do I not have a stove or an oven, but I still can't figure out how to use my George Foreman grill to cook my chicken. The chicken has been defrosting in my fridge for three days. I'm thinking that it is going to go bad before I get the guts to grill it up right.

As to my inspiration, that was due to the fabulous movie, Julie & Julia. I went mid-afternoon and was surprised at how many people went to watch the movie. The amount of 60 and 70-somethings reminded me a little too much of my Grandma's funeral. I imagine Wednesday might be date night for the sexagenarians or maybe they get an "old-foggie" discount.

The movie made me laugh and it made me cry. One young gentleman leaving the theater claimed, "I can't believe they never met!" to which I say, that's life. Life is messy. It can get ugly. We can be doing what we love and become so narcissistic that we completely forget about the people around us who support us through it all.

Julie & Julia gives us a glimpse of two regular, yet extraordinary women. It shows that no one can never truly know what lies ahead. Each day we much face the world and challenge ourselves to become our own version of greatness.

I might not be like either Julie or Julia. I'm not planning on becoming a great cook. I don't know that I'll ever get married. But I can do what I like. I will continue to blog and prove to myself that I am, in fact, a fabulous writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment