Monday, July 6, 2009

Rain...

I grew up in Western Oregon. It was never surprising to have an enormous amount of rain on any given day. Rain was pretty, it helped beautiful flowers to grow. In junior high, I became a nut about puddle-jumping. It was all the rage at Dayton Junior High. My friend, Michelle, and I were champion puddle jumpers and after our lunch break of romping in the piles of water, we would sit in class with drenched jeans.

I'm starting to appreciate rain a little more these days. Not only can I not handle the heat of summer, but I miss the gentleness of the rain falling. It soothes me and motivates me to write.

When my mom and I visited Poland in 2006, it rained on us quite a bit. The above photo is of one of the prettiest streets in Warsaw after the rain. I believe that Poland became one of my favorite countries because of our time in the rain there.

I'm sure that when the rain comes back to Western Oregon, I will find a reason to complain. But right now, I want rain in Eugene more than anything. I want the fresh rain air, the cold breeze, and the tranquility involved in a good Oregon rain. While I wait, I suppose I'll get a few more sun freckles splashed across my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment