Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Sister’s Keeper

A little over a month ago, I read a book. I had seen a preview for the movie and had decided that I needed to read the book first. The book was a complete page turner. It was written from many perspectives. Each character told his or her individual piece of the story. The book was sad, ironic, and most of all, had a completely unexpected ending. It was such a good book that I never skipped to the end to see how it turned out. That is a rarity for me. Most of the time, I can’t wait to know what will happen and I skip to the end, so it’s refreshing to me to read a book that is so good that I keep reading and don’t take time to read the end first.

Today, I watched the movie. It was good. It was sad. I cried a bit. The ending surprised me a bit. It was so completely opposite of the book that I was surprised it ended that way. When I read the book, I had expected the movie ending. But the book was different. It was more ironic; it held a tougher kind of love.

My Sister’s Keeper is something to talk about. My mom and I both read the book so we could discuss the core issues: the medical ethics, family issues, emotions, and independence. The movie gave me even more to think about. I was never the type of person who required movies to follow the books they were based upon, but I think I might just be changing my mind about that.

No matter what, My Sister’s Keeper is a great read and a great flick. I would recommend it to just about anyone with a heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment