Thursday, July 2, 2009


One of my favorite places on campus is next to Hayward Field. It's not the track itself or the history involved in this city known as Track Town USA. No, I like the signs that show me how close (or how far away) I am from some of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Right now, I dream of going back to London. I miss the Underground, the various pubs, and especially walking past Big Ben when he's all lit up at night. I want to go back when I graduate. Maybe I'll even add a week in London to my potential trip back to Ukraine.

When I lived in Oxford, I thought that living in England wasn't for me. I didn't meet a lot of English people, instead, I met a bunch of the crazy Americans who lived in my same house. It was fun. I had a great time. I think the reason I didn't connect as well with the Oxonians was because I viewed them as strict intellectuals. Even though I am a smart person, I can readily admit that I don't know a whole lot. I like to learn, but I also like to have fun and make up stories. I suppose I am an odd sort of intellectual. I mean, I am in graduate school, but I hope that I never become one of those snobbish people who makes you regret ever talking to them.

Yeah, visiting London would be great. I'd like to stay in one of those dodgy hostels and hang out at the pub until two in the morning. I'm still waiting to take a trip back to London with my best friend. We're supposed to go when we're thirty. Hmm...this is the first time I've looked forward to getting older.

No comments:

Post a Comment