Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ketchup Queen


As a child, I disliked ketchup. It tasted yucky. It wasn't until I was in late grade school that I started to taste the red sauce. Maybe I thought it looked too much blood. Or I could have thought it was too salty. All I really remember is that it was a girl named Abby who got me to eat the ketchup. Our church kids' group went to McDonalds for special outings and Abby ALWAYS had ketchup. I tried it once, wanting to be as cool as my new brown-haired friend. It was okay, I guess, I have been a ketchup person ever since. But better than that, I've stayed friends with that ketchup-loving cool girl. We ended up hanging out in school. We were even best friends in high school.

It's crazy how food can meld a memory and bring people together.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, that's so sweet. :) I think I may have teared up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to eat ketchup on everything. I use to have ham and ketchup sandwiches. So yummy. I've kinda toned it down in the last decade or so...

    ReplyDelete