Tuesday, September 29, 2009

First Day of School


My mom stayed at home with me until I started first grade. She treated me as her sidekick. She took me everywhere with her and probably shared too much about the family finances, etc. with me, her little girl. Example, as a first grader, I was deeply concerned with the prospect of paying for college. Taking out loans didn't make sense. If I didn't have money, there was simply no way to pay for college.

Lucky for me, I didn't turn into a complete worrywart. Instead, I became a cute little girl in bright neon pants. My mom and my aunt picked out this outfit for me to wear on my first day of school EVER. I had stayed home for kindergarten. Thus, first grade with Mrs. Corona was my first experience with public school.

My sister, Shelli, also had to wear the neon clothes that year. She didn't like them much. I LOVED them. That outfit is probably what turned me on to my love of really intense colors. I need color to survive, thus the variety of colored objects found throughout my apartment.

I was a shy kid back in first grade. I had a crush on a boy in my class and would never speak up about it. My parents convinced me that liking boys should not be a priority, so instead of talking to the boys or telling my friends about my crushes, I lived with all my feelings inside. That's just no good on a little girl. No wonder I'm so confused in relationships.

Today was my first day as a full-time grad student. I have some pretty cool classes and an incredibly full schedule. Sometimes I wish I could be like the shy girl in the bright neon pants in the picture. But I can't. I'll just have to keep being the crazy girl with black and green glasses trudging through life in Eugene.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, are you serious. :) We were so young, so naive, so... oblivious to what we had waiting for us. Why oh why did we ever grow up? Luv ya Sweet Pea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wish I could go back to my life when I wore those neon pants!

    ReplyDelete