Sunday, April 18, 2010

realization

For the last year, I’ve been dedicated to studying journalism. After spending time in the Peace Corps, it seemed the thing to do. I want to write. Why not become a journalist?

This morning, I realized that besides writing, doing radio, and working for the Peace Corps, I have one other passion. I am fascinated by ASD – Autism Spectrum Disorder. I took a class about the disorder at Willamette ESD when I worked at Dayton Grade School. It was amazing. We learned about ways to help kids with autism and Asperger’s. My friend Chris and I were in the class together. We both said that when we learned a little about the syndrome, we both thought we had a little bit of autism in ourselves. There are times when I am socially awkward. On occasion, I ask inappropriate questions without thinking. But luckily, I have been able to pick up on the awkwardness and avoid doing similar things again. People with autism can’t always do this.

I hate that I’m always changing my mind about what I want to do, but I would love to figure out ways to help people with ASD. Maybe I can do it by volunteering somewhere. Maybe it means I’ll have to change paths in some way.

At least for now I recognized this interest of mine. Next step: do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment