Friday, April 9, 2010

Cooking on a Hot Plate

A few months ago, my brother and his partner bought me a hotplate. They thought it was horrible that I lived with only a microwave and a hand-me-down toaster oven. It was, but I made it work.

The hotplate was from Freddies. It has one burner. (I didn’t want the double burner one, not enough counter space.)

Tonight, the hotplate got a workout.

I wanted to make dinner for my friend. She has made me food so many times. It was about time I returned the favor. I also invited my other friend, her roommate. Dinner was set for eight o’clock.

I got to cooking the meat at about 7:30. The pan was small, good enough to cook two eggs in. I had to cook the meat in shifts. After that, it was time for the pasta. I boiled the pasta in a soup pot. It’s a small soup pot. The family size can of Campbells would overfill it. The pasta got cooked in shifts as well.

Then it was time for the corn. The corn was cooked on the top of the pasta remnants stuck to the bottom of the pan. (Oops. Smokehouse flavor, anyone?)

Then, I took some pasta, a little meat, and sauce and heated it in that same mini pot to heat it up because at this point, all the ingredients were becoming cold.

It was quite a project.

The girls ate my sister’s Oreo cookies while they waited for the food.

Cooking dinner was an experience. I’ve proven that, okay, maybe I CAN cook, at least a little bit. And a hotplate is in fact useful.

1 comment: