Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Not so deep but surely interesting thoughts on this May evening

I get why my Granddad is confused. Facebook and Twitter are all over the news. Sometimes they’re in articles about the new privacy policies or fads that are causing a ruckus. Most of the time they are mentioned at the end of stories. “You can also find them on Twitter and Facebook,” the reporter says. If I didn’t know what either of those were I’d probably Google it or check out Wikipedia. But what about Granddad? I’m sure he’s not the only old guy who watches the news. What about the other folks who don’t know what this new media is?

It’s been about a year since I started studying journalism here at the U of O. I’m still baffled by the changes in media. Sure, there are still jobs in journalism. But things are changing so fast and sometimes so slow that it’s hard to know exactly where to look.

On the other hand, it’s pretty rad that new media is taking over the world. I love that social media is becoming so strong. People are more aware of what things are happening in the world. They engage in the conversations. What could be wrong with that?

I’m not quite sure what the future of journalism is gonna look like. I’m not positive what my future will look like and even if I’m going to be working in journalism. We’ll see. There’s no sense in getting ahead of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment