Friday, June 4, 2010

End of School

The school year is coming to an end. I like it. But really, I’m starting to get a little nervous. I still have two papers to finish. One is a rewrite that needs some serious work. The other is a summary of my final project. The final project is what I’m going to work on this summer and in the fall. Yep. It’s the big project that will earn me my master’s degree. It’s pretty exciting, working on my master’s. But then what? The real world?

This is how I view the real world:

Responsibility – I’ll be forced to find a real job that will support me and help me pay off my undergraduate and graduate loans.

Grownup – I will finally have to be a real grownup to face the responsibilities.

Budget – Creating and sticking to a budget will be crucial to pay the rent, buy shampoo, and pay the other bills.

I’m not sure that I’m ready for the real world. This is mainly because I don’t know where I’m headed. Why is this? Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to have an idea? But I’m a millennial. We millennials have no real direction!

The truth is that I still have a while before I’ve got to worry about the real world. I have to finish my papers, then move out of my apartment, then work on my project, then…

There is plenty to do. Why rush it?

The thing about the real world is that I suppose I am living in the real world now. It’s just my real world. It’s a very specific sort of world. It’s focused and unable to shift from place to place. I’m in Oregon. I’m in school. I’m at work. It’s my world.

But that world is changing very soon. THAT is what scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment