Saturday, October 24, 2009

Life...as a party

I had an interesting conversation with my father today. He's a very wise man. He's lived a lot. He's dealt with a lot of different people. I used to think his advice wasn't that good. I figured I was a little smarter than he was since I'd studied at Oxford. (Ha! Funny, right?) But recently, I've realized how smart he really is. He gets me thinking about things. And although he and I don't always agree on politics or the world around us, we can have a good conversation and talk about things that matter.

It'd be nice if in America there was a middle ground like the one my dad and I have found. I wish we could live in an America without political parties. I wish we could all live in harmony without imposing our beliefs on those around us. If only America could be more like Eugene. It's a community that allows people to live the way they want without pointing fingers. Jaywalk as long as you do it responsibly. Loiter in public places as long as you don't make it unsafe for passersby. I like the idea of everyone just being nice.

I once had a friend in high school (his name was Nic) who told me a world without war and violence would be boring. You see, I wanted peace and harmony. But Nic said that wasn't possible. But why not? Wouldn't it be nice to live in a place where people said hello and really meant it? Or maybe it wouldn't. I've been known to create my own drama. Maybe we're not supposed to all get along. I mean, we grow from our difficulties, if life was easy, maybe the world would be dull. Hmm... I guess I don't know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment