Monday, June 29, 2009

Wandering...through that place with art

Today, after class, I decided to go to a quiet place to unwind. I knew that I wanted to go to the library but on my way there, I decided to go to an even quieter and often prettier place. I visited the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. It was my first time in the museum, and I liked it. The main exhibit On the Road: Two Visions of the Tokaido was amazing. Walking through and looking at all the gorgeous Japanese Art made me realize how much I don't know about Japan as well as just about every other country in Asia.

When I had my interview for the JET Program, I knew nothing about Japan. I hadn't read any recent articles about the country or thought about what the culture would be like over there. I did the same thing before leaving to Ukraine. I waited until I got to Ukraine to learn about the history and culture. I'm starting to realize that although this worked for me one time, while I was in the Peace Corps, this isn't the best way to live. It is better to be informed than ignorant.

A particular piece that caught my attention was quite magestic. The Throne Room and all the ornaments that were a part of that display made me feel as if I was a part of history. I could just imagine being a servant in China, trying to sneak my way to the throne to sit on it for just one moment. I'm sure if I had, I would have been beaten or beheaded within minutes. But as a child, the thrill just might have been worth it.

I love looking at art and walking through museums. I am in no way an expert, but I like to empathize with the artists. I try to transport myself into their works of art to have some semblance of understanding at the message behind the piece. Sometimes, I come up with something great. At other times, I see color on a page and can't find meaning for myself. My goal is to find meaning every day, in every piece of art I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment