Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Forty Days of Good Thoughts: Starting Now

Being a good person takes a lot of work. It means we have to stay positive, be friendly, and let people we love know how much we care about them. It also means there’s a lot of grinning, letting things go, and taking the higher road. Sometimes, I don’t feel like being a good person. I want to scream, yell, eat too much chocolate, and sleep all day. But that’s not me. I care way too much about doing my best and making a difference to settle into an apathetic lifestyle.

Today was probably one of the roughest days I’ve had in a while. I cried at least three times at work. And when I watched Glory Road this evening, I cried a little again. It was just one of those emotionally charged, completely draining days. And then I decided to finish this blog entry. That’s when I saw a word doc named ASD fascination. I checked the properties. It was from April 18 of 2010 and was about wanting to work more with children with autism. It was strange. Back then I had no idea I would be working at the school I do, working with kids with autism.

I started to think more positively. Perhaps what I do matters. Perhaps it’s good that I work where I do. Maybe I’m exactly where I need to be for the time being.

I’m sure today isn’t going to be my only rough day and I’m sure that in a few days, I’ll feel emotionally and physically drained once again, but at least I can end today on a positive note. My job matters, if for no other reason than that I care about doing my best and making a difference in the lives of the kids I work with.

Oh, and if you want, check out my old blog entry here. It’s kinda cool how things turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment