Thursday, August 5, 2010

Book Geeks



I work with a bunch of book geeks… or maybe we’re book nerds. I’m not sure. Whatever we are, we are AWESOME. Together, we do one of the most important jobs at the University of Oregon. We process and repair books. Yep. It’s THE most important. Without the books, how would we learn? This whole digital thing is just a fad. It’ll be gone in no time.

Anyway, tonight we had a library crew garden party. It was quite wonderful. We made mini books, looked at Marilyn’s (one of the boss’s) chickens, and ate a fabulous feast.

Here’s a taste…

Craft time was the best. Jonny didn't bring his supplies but most of the girls did. It was great. Seriously, our work at the library feels a little like this fun craft time.


I'm not gonna lie. When the girls started talking about the types of chickens they have and what color eggs they lay and basically anything chicken, I realized I was way out of my league. I totally ignored everything chicken when I was a kid. I didn't like the meat, I hated feeding them and basically disliked all the farm work I had to do. Ironic that now I want that kind of life here in Eugene.



Please note: I don't know the name of the above chicken. But I believe it's the one they pet and talk to a lot. Will I ever get over my fear of being pecked to death by a hungry chicken? Not sure...

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so chickens are just yucky. My dislike for birds extends to chickens as well. And I also have a fear of being pecked to death (probably developed after having to "gather" eggs at my grandparents when we were young...totally a scary task...one I didin't actually do but made my grandpa do instead).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had started to like chickens until Ben turned my parents' property into a chicken farm. Chickens laying eggs on the lawn and eating them is not something I find amusing. And besides, those chickens are loud. I have no patience for them and shout at them often. Call me cruel, I probably am.

    ReplyDelete