Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Trusting a toy

This morning, I got to sit at a new desk. I was at my non-internship volunteer workplace. It was amazing to have my own cubicle. I didn’t have to sit in the studio everybody needed to use and I didn’t have to sit in the table in the middle of the room and read the newspaper twice.

But instead of jumping into the online news when I entered the cubicle, I did what every smart person would do. I picked up the Magic 8 ball. I asked it the ultimate question, the question every woman over 26 who’s moving back in with her parents must ask: Will I ever get married? I shook it up, closed my eyes for a second, willed a positive response, turned it upside down, and looked down.

DEFINITELY NOT.

What? This can’t be. I was shocked. How could this happen? I took a walk, got a drink of water, and went to the toilet to catch my breath. Then I realized. The Magic 8 Ball didn’t understand the question. It was made in China. It doesn’t know English.

I texted a few of my friends to get their responses. I got a few “hahas” and a “Rece, you’re so funny.” Abby said I shouldn’t put much stock into a piece of plastic with blue water in it.

I tried again. Negative. Third time’s a charm, I thought. I got the answer I wanted. Not a yes. Not, “sure.” But it was a positive one for sure. I took a deep breath. I texted my friend Lena to let her know the good news. Rece was not going to turn into an old hag with crazy cats.

I think I’ve learned my lesson. Magic 8 Balls are not toys. And if you want to ask them a question, you must finesse it out of them. And ask the question slowly. Enunciate. Then maybe you won’t have to try three times for the right answer.

4 comments:

  1. OMG. Watch Mamma Mia and then call me. :) Who says you need marriage anyway? Maybe your Sam will come along some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe your "Todd" will come around someday. hahaha. Blah (that's my best vomit sound). Can't believe we all swooned over a "Todd". He was boring! You're hilarious. Makes me miss you more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Yep. I'm sure all I need to do is sing on the beach or surf with the seaweed and I'll find me a handsome fellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! nobody knows the answer to that question until it happens. We can't know. Your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete